Monday 24 May 2010

Oh I Say, Can you See?


Interesting facts of the week:

Apologies to Wikipaedia for plagiarism...

1. The music of the Star Spangled banner came from a drinking song written by a British composer John Stafford Smith (apparently born in Gloucester - but I always thought he was Welsh.)

2. United States Code, 36 U.S.C. § 301, states that during a rendition of the national anthem, when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart;

3. Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present and not in uniform may render the military salute; men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold the headdress at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;

4. Recently enacted law in 2008 allows military veterans to salute out of uniform, as well.

5. This behavioral requirement for the national anthem is subject to the same First Amendment controversies that surround the Pledge. For example, Jehovah’s Witnesses are not required to stand for or sing the national anthem.

...........

I guess that's another law I've broken since I've been here. Mind you, they seem to be very relaxed over certain laws here. I'm not sure whether it's illegal or not to talk on your mobile whilst driving here, but you'd be forgiven for thinking it was mandatory.

Patriotism, however is pretty serious business. I like Patriotism - I think it's healthy, as opposed to nationalism. It's a fine line though, which I think is often crossed. They recently passed a law here in Arizona allowing the police to stop and search anyone who looks Hispanic to check whether they are illegal immigrants. Incredible - the Land of the Free? Really?? It's got lots of debate going on the cable news channels though. Speaking of which - it would be nice if just occasionally CNN would say whats going on in the rest of the world. Just a thought.

...

I only really worked out this week what the US national anthem is about - The British bombardment of a fort in Baltimore in 1812. Still - no hard feelings... They won in the end so I guess they're not bitter.

In fact I'd say most people here love the Brits, or at least they have been very friendly. Not a day has gone past when someone hasn't said to me "Wow - I love you're accent!", then quickly followed by: "Are you British / Irish / Scottish / English / Australian/ Canadian / from New Jersey?? (my personal favourite)" Never Welsh, but never mind - I'm quick to correct. At least everyone knows where Wales is - Thanks to Tom and Catherine Zeta.

I don't get sick of it - I quite like the attention, and if I'm being honest I probably put on my poshest British accent. It's a good ice-breaker I suppose. It's quite normal to start up a conversation with a complete stranger just walking down the street. The sort of thing that would be met with a confused blank stare in London. ("How dare you invade my personal bubble!") As soon as I speak though I know whats coming. There usually follows a potted family history of where in Europe their great grandfather was from, and which ship he came over on. The reaction I get from patients is mostly positive, although a few seem uncertain about a foreigner looking after them. I guess they're worried I'll flee the country if it all goes wrong. Too right I will! (only kidding - I'm sure they'd extradite me anyway).

We went up to Northern Michigan for a weekend last week. A beautiful place called Glen Arbor - next to Sleeping Bear Dunes Park. Lovely tranquil lakes, miles of white sandy beaches, and big sand dunes. We had a great time and felt like we were really on holiday.

On Sunday we went to a closer lake and park area and I went mountain biking with some friends. Pretty good Mountain bike trail (though not quite up to North Wales standards). I'm loving the Great outdoors. Still a mountain or two wouldn't go amiss. We're planning another weeks holiday in North Michigan in June - we're hiring a cottage on a lake with it's own beach.

Work is still exciting, with new challenges every week. Last week I got to use a jet ventilator on someone. All went well. Not so much "See one, Do one, Teach one", as "Read it up, Have a quick play with it, then hope for the best". The support from the other faculty has been great.

So remember - if you're ever arrested for not standing, removing your hat and putting your hand on your heart when the Star-Spangled Banner is being played, just say you're a Jehovah's Witness.

Till Next Time,

Drake

No comments:

Post a Comment